Base10Blog
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
 
Gadget Update
Base10 remarked a few months ago that he was gadgeteering some new computers. The current setup:

  1. A core duo Mac-mini running Ubuntu 7.04. I've successfully set up Parallels running Windows XP on this machine as well.
  2. A core duo Mac-mini running OSX and being used as a DVR. I have this HD from LaCie connected as well as EyeTV and an Elgato 250 video tuner/encoder. Good stuff. I can remotely set up recordings and compress to a handheld device. The only thing that it doesn't support is recording in high-def, which is okay with me since it makes up too much disk space.
  3. I have relegated the Toshiba Libretto to desktop duty. The Fujitsu slate that I have was just too noisy to have on all the time as a desktop. I have the docking station for the slate so I can connect it to the network easily.
  4. I have the Libretto and the Ubuntu machines connected to an HP flat screen 15" monitor through a 2-way KVM switch. I may upgrade this to a four-way at some point.
  5. I can remotely connect to any of the machines through NX and ssh (for the linux box) and UltraVNC (for the mac and the windows box).
  6. I'll be upgrading the wireless network soon. I've been using Linksys 802.11b router for some time, but I'll upgrade eventually.
  7. My next computer update will probably consist of getting rid of the slate and the Libretto and upgrading. I have my eye on the new model Fujitsu slate as well as the new model Fujitsu convertible. They're both sweet, but I'll probably wait until the end of the year before I buy one (or both).

UPDATE: Mrs. Base10, please ignore that last sentance if you read this.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger