Base10Blog
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
 
More Base10 Gadgetry

I made mention a few days ago about my adventures with a Mac-mini. First, let me say, it is a zippy computer with a phenomenal form factor and I recommend it to anyone who does not need a high-speed gaming machine or photo editing box. While getting through some fits, starts and reinstalls, I have managed to do the following:

  1. Dual boot the system with OSX and Windows.
  2. Dual boot the system with OSX and Linux (specifically Ubuntu--I can't seem to get Knoppix to work).
  3. Stand alone boot with LInux (Ubuntu again).

I still can't tripple boot, although I read that this was possible. The Mac partitioning system is different from the standard system and limits you to four total partitions. It seems one is occupied by the partition table so this limits you to three useable ones. It should be possible to set up a triple boot system but you'd have to not use a linux swap partition. You can triple boot from a CD distro if it's in the drive at boot-up. I'm still undcided on my final setup, but I figure I'll run a dual boot OSX/Windows box an I may get a second mini to run Linux full-time.

Note on Ubuntu: It is a pretty impressive distro. I admire the desktop integration. I've never used it before, but I plan on spending some time with it.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger