Base10Blog
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
 
Film Curl and Other Photographic Anomalies
Base10 doesn't know what to make of this. The last few rolls of film he left to dry were badly curled. It was edge-to-edge curl rather than end-to-end. Base10 tried everything: hanginng them with weights, hanging them without weights. Letting the shower steam up a bit before they dry, etc. Nothing works. The 35mm film is especially bad and makes it very difficult to scan. I've read that this is caused by low humidity. The dryness of the air causes the emulsion side of the film to dry out and therby causing curling with the emulsion side-in. This is indeed the situation I've noticed. I have a roll of 120 hanging now, and if it's not straight by tonight, I think I'm just going to cut it and put it under a book.

The roll that's hanging was processed with Kodak HC-110 developer. It's the first time I used it and I have to say that I'm impressed with the results (except for the curl). I developed Ilford Delta 3200 pushed to 6400 ASA and developed it in dilution A. The negatives came out nice and dense and I'll bet with a little experimentation that you can get it up to 12800 ASA easily--maybe even higher. I can't wait to try another roll or two. I'm even contemplating a test with identical exposures and push processing to compare the results from HC-110, Diafine and D-76.

Now that midterms are over (but understanding that I now have to study that much harder for finals) Base10 has decided to buy himself a toy. He is in the market for a 35mm focal length prime lens in Leica-M mount. There are four options, as Base10 sees them. Each has its good poiints and drawbacks:

1. The Cosina/Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 Nokton. This is the fastest 35mm lens available. It is also big, bulky, heavy and its optical performance is not as good as the other lenses on this list. Base10 does have a tri-Elmar which is optically beautiful but only starts at f4 so he'd like something a bit faster. With the Elmar, it would be reasonable to get something really fast, but I just don't think I'll carry this lens much. (New, $845).

2. The Cosina/Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron. I have a C/V 50mm Nokton and a C/V 28mm Ultron and I have to say that I'm impressed with both lenses. I am very tempted to buy this lens, which is optically good, but does suffer some criticism for its poor build quality. I've also read that this lens is particularly well suited for use on an RD-1 because of lack of micro-contrast. New for $450, this lens is not something you would go crazy about if you took it out in the rain. I also like the trade getting an extra half-stop over the heavyweight Zeiss and Leica glass.

3. The Zeiss TM 35mm f2.0 Biogon. Everything I've read about this lens says that it is beautiful with edge sharness equal to center. It is claimed that it is as good if not better than the pre-ASPH versions of the Leica 35mm Summicron. If I didn't get the Ultron, I'd be very tempted to get this one. (New, $1050; used, $850).

4. The Leica 35mm f2.0 ASPH Summicron. Before I write anything, this lens goes for $2000 new and the cheapest good quality used one I saw was going for $1400. That being said, it is the daddy of sharp lenses. If you are thinking of a Zeiss, it is not that much of a stretch to think about this one as well. Like I said, while I would like one really good prime lens, I don't think I'll be spending this much money unless I actually go out and buy a Leica camera.

Base10 will buy one of these lenses today, it just remains to be seen which one. (If Mrs. Base10 is reading this, it probably won't be the expensive one).
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger