Base10Blog
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
 
Today's Agenda and Random Thoughts on Photography and Other Matters

Base10 is on his way to work right now on a chilly but sunny Wednesday morning. He will likely be a bit busy this afternoon doing some data entry and doing some other work. But hey, this is hump day, right? Whatever.

Base10 took his digital camera out Sunday with an EFS 17-85 lens (curse Canon for having two lens mounts). I wanted to get a feel on how the angle translated to digital. I used the same waist-level shooting style I did with the Bessa--wide open--but using autofocus not hyperfocal length. I also set the sharpness a little high and the contrast a little low. Some images actually came out quite nice, but it obviously pays to have a bubble level. First impressions are that you don't lose that much by going to digital. The 17mm lens was very wide but was even narrower than the 15mm I have on the Bessa. That would be fine for most purposes, and you could even go down to a 12mm if you had to giving you an effective 18mm lens in digital. I also found the perspective intriguing. In DOF mode, image edges that had nearby subjects were tack sharp. I'm also toying with the idea of buying a Canon prime in a shorter focal length like the 24mm f:1.4L or the 35mm f:1.4L. As far as the Bessa results,
the preliminary shots were okay like I wrote Sunday, but I should have four or five rolls done on Friday with slower films to look at other results. I may post a few digitals later.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger