Base10Blog
Friday, August 12, 2005
 
Medium Format Results

Base10 got some medium format pictures back from the lab and boy is he pleased with the results.

His compliments to www.prolabexpress.com. Base10 sent in three 120 rolls for processing and scanning. Most labs will do processing and scanning but return the images on a CD. This company posts them online so you can order prints or the plethora other products they sell. Great idea. Download your scans immediately. Base10 was able to use his 3vi1 haXX0r skillz to retrieve his image files. (Not really, but they do need to work on their web interface). In spite of this, I wholeheartedly recommend them. They charge $5 for shipping film + CD back, but will include them with your next print order. Orders over $15 (I think) have free shipping. Also, prices were very reasonable. About $10.50 for the service.

Like I said, I am very happy with the results. You are getting essentially a 5 megapixel scan off of a 6cm-by-6cm negative. You have to pay more for higher density scans, but this is sufficient for an 8x10. I was shocked at how detailed the scans were. I knew this could be done, but I didn't realize how well. The only drawback is the time delay for mail order. Next time I can time it a little differently.

My other surprise was how well my Yashicamat TLR performed. I didn't use a lens hood, so I have to admit there was visible flare on some images. (Buy lens hood--check). The overall image quality was striking, especially in B&W which imparts an artistic feel to even the most pedestrian image. I was also pleased that the metering on the Yashicamat was so accurate. There have been reports that since it originally used a mercury battery (current environmental no-no) when used with an alkaline battery it underexposed the image. This was not the case in my experience.

The worst thing about this, at least from Mrs. Base10's point of view, is that because of success here I am marginally more likely to buy a better medium format film camera now, like a Hasselblad. Eventually, they will also have affordable digital backs for these things.
Base10 will post some images later to fulfill Friday photoblogging contractual obligations.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger