Base10Blog
Saturday, December 11, 2004
 
Today's Must Read

This short piece by Ben Stein (yeah, that Ben Stein) in the American Spectator is very touching. The story of an inherited luger captured by his late father-in-law, Colonel Dale Denman, Jr., during WWII. Stein writes,
My brave father-in-law, representative of tens of millions of American men and women who have gone off to fight for freedom, fought against cruel, tenacious enemies. They often lost their lives in so doing. They prevailed and I get to live in spectacular freedom, glorious, bright freedom, every day because men like Col. Denman were as brave as they were.

I have relatives and friends who get out of bed every morning and do an hour of exercise to keep them fit. I don't do that. My exercise is that I get out of bed and hit my knees and thank God for waking up in America, where I live in peace and freedom, no Gestapo chasing me, no KGB putting me in the Gulag, no Hamas blowing me up. All thanks to men like Col. Denman and the heroism he showed capturing this Luger.
The author concludes that the only gifts he will be giving this season are those to the troops protecting us in Afghanistan and Iraq. Base10 thinks that's a great idea.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger