Base10Blog
Saturday, April 03, 2004
 
Little Bites
I haven't done a restaurant review in a while, but I realize that I probably give short shrift to restaurants that I go to regularly. In an effort to rectify this glaring omission on my part, consider these fine dining establishments in county of Queens (Links to Citysearch):

Legends Bar and Grill (and Pearson's barbecue). (Elmhurst). If you're a barbecue aficionado in NYC, you've been to Pearson's in one of its incarnations. Formerly a storefront in LIC, Pearson's moved to the back of Legends Bar several years ago. This is slow smoked Texas barbecue. There's no flashy sauces to detract from the food. Best single item: brisket sandwich on a portuguese roll at $6.95. One caveat, I do not care for the ribs here. In fairness, I have friends (and even Mrs. Base10) that rave over them, but I think they're too dry. Another fave: smoke sausage sandwich also at $6.95. It's basically a kielbasa sandwich that's been smoked all morning. Truly delicious. The bar is also pretty good and has an excellent staff of bartenders. It's mostly sports oriented with numerous televisions that have most games on. Get there early during football season if you're hoping to catch a game. One gripe about the Citysearch review--I must be one of the "bored looking locals." (Also note: Pearson's opened up a new place on the UES a few months ago. I haven't been there yet so I can't say whether it's good or not).

Nick's Pizza. (Forest Hills). Nick's is quite simply the best brickoven pizza place in Queens. Some people think it's the best in the entire city. The menu is simple--pizza and a couple of other items. You basically build your own pie. My favorite toppings are prosciutto and sun-dried tomatoes. They also have a nice microbrew selection and the room is decorated with old photos of Queens, particularly Forest Hills. I'm told the tiramisu is good, but I have never made it that far to desert. There can be a wait if you go during prime time. I recommend that you get two pies, because this way you get to take one home and eat it later.

Anna's Place. (Rego Park). Anna's is a terrific joint. It used to be known as the Jaegerhouse, and if your a Queen's native you've probably eaten there once in your life. Outstanding continental food with heavy emphasis on German cuisine. Also soup and salad bar, and an exceptionally good bar menu. The bar scene is pretty good, but it does attract its share of eurotrash. Avoid karaoke on Thursdays and Saturdays (a personal preference).

Enjoy dining!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger