Base10Blog
Saturday, April 03, 2004
 
Headquarters Bar Review (and not the legal kind).
I've decided to give my review of the bars and pubs in the vicinity of One Police Plaza. The list was obtained after significant amounts of scientific research during my lunch hours. I hope my boss understands how dedicated I am to the pursuit of a good bar. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices... Well, in no particular order (links Citysearch page):

Metropolitan Improvement Co. (aka The Met). This is the physically closest bar to 1PP. As such it has both good and bad points. The good: the food is very good and is a nice place to go to lunch close by. The bad: unless you've memorized the faces of all the high ranking members of the Department and their drivers, you never know who you're sitting next to, so watch what you say. There was a time when the Met was very popular after work as well, but that ended after the Grey case. The do have a good happy hour and very good food. The after-work crowd is mostly Verizon workers from across the street. Can't really say what goes on at other times.

Nathan Hales. Located on Murray Street and Broadway, Hales is one of the area's best watering holes. It has a laid back bar scene but also boasts truly outstanding food, especially the daily specials where the chef really outdoes himself. The bar scene is a weird mix of blue collar construction workers, various law enforcement people, city workers, wall streeters and city hall staffers. They have specials every day, but it does get very crowded on Thursdays and Fridays. Outstanding bartenders and waitstaff. Another weird distinction, the owner is a soccer aficionado and this bar is home to the Metrostars Fan Club. They can be a little obnoxious. Overall, Hales is a top notch bar. Open Saturday but not Sunday.

17 Murray. Across the street from Nathan Hales is the geographically named "17 Murray." Like Hales, 17 is also a top notch place. The bartenders are outstanding, it has a very well appointed dining room and its decor is a cut above your usual downtown watering hole. 17 tends to attract more of the city hall crowd and I'm told it was popular for power lunches in the Giuliani administration. The food is also very good, but a little more expensive than Hales (and frankly, I think the food at Hales is a little better), but is excellent quality. Comparing the two places, you would bring a first date to 17, but when you got to know them better you would go to Hales. Not open Saturday or Sunday.

A&M Roadhouse. A little further down Murray Street is the A&M Roadhouse. The bar is okay and the bartenders are terrific, although the owner is a bit of a dope. Recently, the Roadhouse has been sponsoring live blues music nightly. The few times I've stuck around to catch the band, I had a really good time. The exceptional thing about the Roadhouse is the food. The place boasts a great selection of barbecue dishes with a very reasonable lunch special. Beware the high caloric however! My personal favorite is the southern fried chicken sandwich which the waitstaff refers to as the "widowmaker."

Beekman Pub. I've never really cared for the Beekman. The bar is nice inside--all brass and old wood, but I have to say, I've never felt at home there and don't generally recommend it to people. In fairness, I've been to some parties there where the food was really good.

Ryan's Sports Bar. Ryan's is a sports-themed bar with a lot of TV's and a nice bar. It's a good regular guy's bar. Some suits, some cops, some tourists (since it's right off of Fulton Street). It's a good place to catch a game during lunch. The bartenders are pretty good, but the food is pedestrian at best--burger and fries in a basket sort of thing. (The one exception to this is the chicken pot pie which is great and should be eaten whenever they have it).

Baxter Pub. This place is another generic bar. They have a typical bar menu of burgers, onion rings and the like, but don't go there for the food. I like the place because it's pretty quiet when I go and I can read the paper in peace. Caution: It been known to fill up with obnoxious yuppie assistant DA's on Fridays after work.

Raccoon Lodge. Every neighborhood needs a dive bar and downtown is no exception. I really never cared for this place, but I know other people that go there regularly. I never could see why. The place is physically a dump, no food, and it's not exactly cheap. I suspect the wall street suits like going because it makes them feel manly. Two saving graces: it's open on the weekends and most holidays (this is no small thing if you work on the weekend) and it has a pretty good beer selection.

Well, that's the lot for now. I know that I've left quite a few places out, but I promise to continue doing research for the cause. Next up: South Street Seaport Bars. I'll have to put it on the "to do" list!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger