Base10Blog
Friday, February 20, 2004
 
I just picked up a couple of books from Borders. The first is The World of Null-A, by A.E. van Vogt. Its a classic science fiction story that I read when I was about twelve. I had long thought this book out of print, but the local Borders had a copy on its shelves. (Barnes and Noble beware: Border's website can show you if a book is in stock at your local store). It was apparently reprinted in 2002. I particularly liked the cover art which is a throwback to 50's ideas of what modern dress and spaceships would look like. I've only read the first couple of chapters but so far the book really seems to hold up well. It's amazing that it was first published in 1945! The other book I picked up was Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. This was a rare impulse purchase on my part. I was interested since I recently reread the "sprawl" trilogy and saw the book on the way out. Although I've only read a few pages, the book looks interesting. Gibson's best work is in concepts, not necessarily accurate descriptions of computer technology. The main character is a "coolhunter," meaning a person who discovers the new hot trend ahead of the masses. I'll give a more detailed review when I finish these books.

Comments? mail to
Base10Blog@yahoo.com

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger